Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

no cel but something is wrong

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Sep 2011, 12:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

no cel but something is wrong

Hi guys I'm getting symptoms of a bad idle valve but not getting any cel or stored error codes. My car is a 94 jdm wrx. It's stalling when I put the clutch in. I have also noticed quite a bit of white smoke that smells sweet like burning coolant. First I thought it was a blown head gasket but I have no mixed oil and water and my heaters blow really hot. Would a faulty idle valve cause coolant to go into the throttle body to create the white smoke. The car also seems to be struggling to boost it does hit its max boost of 1.1psi but dosent seem to really want to. It's been like this for two days now so I have been driving really carefully without using the turbo. It seems to be performing really poor would an idle valve cause this.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2011, 06:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: no cel but something is wrong

Gasket symptoms won't always be that simple to find on a scoob,as for stalling,it could be the 02,MAF or temp control sensor on the way out...
Old 30 Sep 2011, 12:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: no cel but something is wrong

Once again thanks for your help Pilot. I spent about 20 mins on the phone to AS-Performance in Birtley today and I have been advised to get a compression test done. Think I may have blown a piston ring as there is white smoke also coming from the dip stick hole. It has lost a litre of oil after about 60 miles driving very slowly. I did ask what year engines are a straight swap but forgot if it was up to or including MY99. Something different on the intake ports on the MY00. I was going to put my own MY00 engine in but I would rather sell her for someone else to enjoy. You may think I'm stupid for wanting to spend a fortune on the TK but I wanted one since playing gram tourismo3 many years ago. Any info you can give me would be much appreciated...
Offline   Reply With Quote