Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

Advice regarding key fob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jun 2011, 09:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
tis
Fresh Scooby

Advice regarding key fob

Hi,

We have an Impreza ('03, GX AWD) and it is currently parked in an airport whilst my other half is abroad. He called me today to say that his key has been stolen.

I do have a spare and could drive over with it but I have a couple of concerns:

1 - The spare has never been used and the battery is likely flat

2 - I understand that if batteries aren't replaced within a certain timeframe, thia can affect the programming.

3 - Halfords say that I can get a replacement battery easily enough, but one staff memwbr told me this wouldn't necessarily mean that the car can be started due to the programming issue wheras another told me that it would start manually as the immobiliser is deactivated by chip recognition when the key is inserted manually.

Who do I believe?! Should I look into getting a new key fob altogether before driving all the way down, or will a battery for the fob suffice? Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Cheers,

Tista

P.S. The key fob is Subaru branded and has a single button, if that makes a difference.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2011, 12:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Re: Advice regarding key fob

The key fob has the transponder chip in it a little magnate looking thing which sends a radio signal to the ecu to varify the right key is inserted in the stearing lock the transponder chip has nothing to do with your battery in the fob the battery only control your alarm and the central looking. Unless you have another subaru fob without the key in it which controls your central locking and immobiliser then you would need that to deactivate the immobiliser. But if you are using just the one key fob to turn the alarm on and off that should be fine. Put new batrey in make sure you put it in the right way open your locks with the key fob it will give you about 30 seconds to get in and start the car once you put the key in the stearing lock there is a reader on the stearing look a round ring normally which is for chip recognition that sends a signal to the ecu that its the right key and starts the engine. But it has nothing to do with your battrey the battrey only power and control the circuit board for the immobiliser and central locking in your key fob the transponder chip is in a seprate corner in your key fob you can even take that out of the fob and hold it in your hand and start the car if its with in a few meters range of the reader around the stearng lock.
Hope that helps.

From Works The Real Deal.
Offline   Reply With Quote