Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

Rubbish sound from 54 WRX stereo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2011, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Rubbish sound from 54 WRX stereo

Hi All, first question time, I've had a quick search through to see what issues there are with the standard stereo speakers and not found what I'm after yet.

Essentially I've got a 54 plate WRX wagon and after a month the crap sound quality is beginning to get on my thruppenies - very tinny and no depth/bass to the sound.

So is it the head or speakers or both? And any recommendations for replacements please, not wanting anything mental just after a decent sound

Thanks all in advance
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2011, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Re: Rubbish sound from 54 WRX stereo

The head unit is made by kenwood. First upgrade would always be speakers. A good set of 2 way components with a cross over in the front would help and a couple of mids in the back doors.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 10:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Simple solution is to wind down the window and listen to the exhaust
Or you could change the head unit, speakers, cross overs and an amp. Be careful with the depth of the speaker magnet, there isn't much room and some don't fit.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

turn down the stereo and listen to the burble, if you cant hear the burble very well change exhaust
Old 26 Apr 2011, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

So new speakers then, I'll go and have a chat with a local car hi fi chap. Is it normal for the standard CD player to be very sensitive to surface imperfections/scratches? It has real trouble with some CDs that are fine in other cars.

...and thank you for the suggestions about winding down the windows! The exhaust is already the size of a drainpipe so would be difficult to make louder without further surgery. I would do sa you say but this is my daily driver and it needs to have a decent stereo, my TVR also has crap speakers but I don't give a monkeys about that
Old 26 Apr 2011, 04:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

I'd look at changing the whole system rather than just the speakers. If you turn it up the head unit will just distort and sound just as bad.