Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Non Impreza Related > Computer Internet Related Stuff

Subaru Impreza Forum

Here's some more PC stuff for you all!!
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2007, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
Cool Here's some more PC stuff for you all!!

I must be mad!!

Got a few new bits early in the month and got to playing about with them and so on. I had the Conroe E6600 CPU and a Abit AW9D-Max motherboard. I used all the parts from my previous AMD machine and this new one booted up and worked perfectly untill I had a bad bios flash and it killed the bios chip on the board.

Well after getting it back, here's what I've managed to achieve with an uprated CPU fan and a new case (I just couldnt resist...)

Some standard clock speed tests:

Super Pi 1.5

3D Mark 01SE

And after a few hours of messing about

And when I went mad...

Those where flat out speeds

Well after some more testing (stability) I've come this far...

3.42Ghz Test (1Ghz overclock)

And as I thought that was easy, I went for a bit higher

Here's a shot at 3.5Ghz (1.1Ghz overclock)

I'm gonna aim for 3.6Ghz, but to be honest, all I wanna do right now is play games and more games

Hope this is of some use to you all I feel like UK Dave is with his polishing, I like it with PC's!!

A few pics will follow of the hardware

Here's a few pics of the hardware I've got:

Oh it bloody hurts if you catch yourself on the fins on the heatsink, so watch yourself!!

Last edited by Phill-type-R; 20 Jan 2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 20 Jan 2007, 06:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

So you can surf the web then now

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 20 Jan 2007, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
I have two PC's mate, so can always surf the web

Mind you, that said, I do have another PC just sat here thats a Dual Core CPU system and works very well Just not as fast as the Conroe

If anyone needs a bit of advice or something, please just ask Chances are (like Dave with his Polish) I've owned it or had some experience with the PC's!!
Old 20 Jan 2007, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
mal
Senior Scooby

Hope you've got an anti static mat under those boards Phill
Old 20 Jan 2007, 09:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

No mate I hadnt Simple reason, wood is dense (like me really) so no electric could pass through it..

Besides, its working fine at the moment!!
Old 20 Jan 2007, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
mal
Senior Scooby

Thinking more of the static from yourself m8
Old 20 Jan 2007, 10:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

I dont worry about things like that! Never had a problem with that in my life!!
Old 20 Jan 2007, 10:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
mal
Senior Scooby

Old 20 Jan 2007, 10:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

You worry to much I've been messing about with PC's for over 8 years and never had any problems with static.. Maybe I'm just non static!!
Old 20 Jan 2007, 10:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
mal
Senior Scooby

Just something i had drilled into me from a few years back when i did my city & guilds in microprocessor installation & maintenance. Stuck with me ever since
Old 20 Jan 2007, 11:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Was never taught that mate!!

Oh well, I'm sure something might happen one day then!!
Old 20 Jan 2007, 11:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
mal
Senior Scooby

You know what it's like Phill. One minute it's, do it this way the next it's do it that way...... then a few years later it's, oh don't bother, do as you want, it was all bullshit anyway.....we do it this way now which is totally different from everything you've ever been taught
Old 20 Jan 2007, 11:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

I never learnt how to build a PC at college and that's what I was interested in, so I went to my local PC shop, got all the hardware and off I went Was even introduced into overclocking too But had a bit of experience with my Duron 650Mhz system (my first ever PC I had bought myself!!) and I've been doing it ever since Dont regret a minuite of it Should try it Mal

I'm running 1.15Ghz faster than the CPU should be and its perfectly stable Saved me over 500 doing it too!!
Old 20 Jan 2007, 11:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
mal
Senior Scooby

Done it Phill. Only a matter of moving a few jumpers, still gotta know what your doing though, otherwise

Used to build my own pc's aswell as build for a few people i knew. But in the last couple of years it's become so cheap to buy a ready made pc it aint worth building your own anymore.

I tend to buy a cheap pc then upgrade it, works out cheaper than buying a top spec machine
Old 20 Jan 2007, 11:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Never buy pre-built things like PC World, Comet, Currys and the rest of them... Even Alienware systems are overpriced!!

If you buy things like for example what I've got, you will get so much more performance from them, than you would something thats been bought and you've upgraded

I've NO regrets building my own PC's as I know whats gone in them and what I can get out of them Besides, overclocking is free performance and I'd always recommend people doing it, even with no voltage increases, its still worth the time

Oh, overclocking is all done in the bios now No jumpers at all to play about with anymore mate
Closed Thread