Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Non Impreza Related > Computer Internet Related Stuff

Subaru Impreza Forum

How is your PC cooled?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2006, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
Question How is your PC cooled?

Now this might seem a real dumb question but with some of todays CPU's they get terribly hot and sometimes, air cooling (the cheapest and easiest way to cool anything down) isnt enough..

I've never tried water or the Vapo Chill systems and I was just wondering how hard it is to set one up?

I just wondered if anyone on the site has a water cooled or such system and what they where using/running?

Thanks advance
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2006, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to BIG GRINDER!
Hi Phill
I just use air cooling for the CPU. I have installed 2 extra fans in the side of my case to help.
I have seen pics of people using water cooling. Lots of hassle. You might end up getting condensation on your board if your cpu cooler is 2 cold.

Just a thought

Kev
Old 30 Sep 2006, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
I lost count of how many fans I have in PC's as my main rig has 3 x 120mms and another 3 x 80mms as well Keeps it all really cool, and its also good as it has a 120mm fan over the 4 hard drives I have in the system too

Depends on what you do with the CPU to how it needs to be cooled... Some of the guys use liquid nitrogen!! - 197C
Old 30 Sep 2006, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to BIG GRINDER!
One plus for water cooling is the noise. If your sat at your PC all you can hear are fans.
But for water you have a pump, best outside the house

Kev.
Old 30 Sep 2006, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Mine is with FANS. But defo go with water next time. The new PC's at work are now water cooled and they do not make a noise at all.

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 02 Oct 2006, 07:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Heres a faily simply to follow article i found... http://www.overclockers.com/articles1336/index.asp

Im on fans
Old 02 Oct 2006, 08:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

The most important thing to remember though Peter is that, if your using a bog standard cooler that was bundled with your CPU or PC from Comet/PC World/Dell or whatever, the heatsink isnt going to be all that great.

If you want quiet cooling and dont want the fuss and hassle of water, the best way to go is an upgraded heatsink and fan combo. Zalman and Thermalright coolers are some of the best I've ever used. Even when overclocking, some of these heatsinks I've used give me temps of less than 10 to 15C less than the stock cooler under a full load on the CPU, which after all is the most important. This is how I work with cooling, as I've never needed to use water cooling. It gets very messy and also very expensive if you get a leak But then you dont use just water in a water cooling setup...

Also a fan controller does help when keeping noise to a minimum as I used to use a Tornado fan which was 92mm in size, but span at an amazing 4800rpm's which was so noisy, you'd hear it over a hoover in use! But the amount of air that was moved with this fan was simply amazing and the temps went down even further... It was huge and awesomely good at what it did.. But a bit too noisy to have it on all the time!!

Personally it would depend largely on what you where doing with the PC, for example if you wanted it on 24/7 and where it was in relation to the bedroom for example..
The easiest way I've found to make a PC quieter, is get a bigger yet slower moving fan and that way, it will cool it just as good (maybe better depending on the fan that was on there in the first place) yet it would be quieter...

If you'd like advice about it, please give me a shout I've listed a few links to different heatsinks and fans, see what you think

CPU Coolers

Fans

Chipset and GPU coolers

Watercooling

16 Water cooling setups reviewed!

Enjoy