Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Car Care - Make your car sparkle

Subaru Impreza Forum

Manipulating your cars finish to suit you + general info...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Feb 2009, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Manipulating your cars finish to suit you + general info...

You`ve probably read numerous threads on different forums about how long ppl spend on their cars 5 or 6 coats of a single product amongst other stages and details that have took a full wk etc etc,in my opinion unless youre going to store the car in a museum,are almost a waste of time,through general use your cars gonna get scratched/stonechipped etc so at some stage its going to want paint eventually anyway.

Feel free to argue this point with me(though i mentioned it to wayne ages ago)The 2 bucket method of washing a car is less important than rinsing the car off well before you start cleaning with a sponge or mitt ie if theres no grit on the car the chances are minimal of it getting on your sponge/mitt.

To have a bucket with clean water in to rinse the sponge/mitt is only any good whilst the waters clean as after the first time the sponge is rinsed in it isnt this just like using a single bucket but without the soapy water .

Next thing Wheres the grit come from to get in your bucket........your sponge/mitt so the blatant fact is the grits already been rubbed on your car wether low down in the pile of a mitt or sponge or on the surface,youve no control on how long its been in the mitt/sponge other than the last time you dipped your sponge in the bucket and even then if deep in the pile could have been longer so whats the point of the 2nd bucket.

Gritt sinks to the bottom of a bucket otherwise whats the point of a gritguard(dont use these either) theyre just a plastic mesh for anyone that dont know that sits about an inch from the bottom of your bucket to stop your sponge picking up debris from the base of your bucket-can understand the principal but in reality who scrapes their sponge along the bottom of the bucket then washes their paintwork with it.

IN MY OPINION FORGET THE 2 BUCKET METHOD OR GRIT GUARD You`re much better off rinsing the car well before you start(mainly when you can see its really mucky)use pressure washer if necessary, however i try not to as does slightly kill your waxed finish.

When doing dirty parts of your car with the sponge/mitt rinse then brush your hand across the sponge/mitt whilst in the bucket to check for anything sharp or even really small leaves/twigs as they can still mark the finish when youre rubbing against your paint.

Right back to my main point(sorry it took a while)Polish to an extents just to clean your paint they can go from coarse(almost being a compound) to fine(finishing polishes and cleansers-(sometimes labelled gloss enhancers)
On a fairly average condition car start with a fairly coarse polish(bonus if you`ve got a polisher),by hand ive always used T-cut when ive first bought a car, even though alot of ppl say its terrible for cars ive used it for about the last 15yrs an for me its always done what its said on the bottle and been reasonably priced so why change(if metallic use metallic t-cut as its finer stuff)

From this stage its just a case of using a slightly finer polish once over the car then finishing polish/sealant /glaze/wax

I dont tend to mention the early stages much as once the paintworks really decent you shouldnt have to really bother with polishes that much other than after claying or when you feel your bodywork needs it,possibly for removing the odd mark your car picks up.

Its generally once your car looks nice more a case of just using a glaze now and again maybe 3 or 4 times a yr(contain fine fillers and gives your paint more depth)but generally the most popular products i use are sealants,i only wax my car now and again in comparison.

Ive mentioned to wayne and a few other folk on here by PM once your cars in good condition just alternate between a wax and a sealant on your car for a while then when youre happy with it try 2 coats of sealant when you do the car whenever you choose,i find you never really need more than 2coats at once,nothing to stop you doing it several wks on the trot but not the same day a good sealant shouldnt need it.

Also dont over do it, sometimes i`ll do my car (especially when waxing)an think it looks ok but nothing special and then a day or 2 later will look stunning,occasionally its down to different light however sometimes waxes need more time to really glow(hard to explain but you`ll know what i mean when it happens to you )

Temperature aswell can also have a different effect on how your car looks mine usually looks loads better in hot weather guessing its the fine coating of wax almost giving a wetter look due to the heat of the bodywork almost if ya like "melting the wax"

Finish wise you really can choose how you want your car to look deep/natural/glossy/showing the metallic flake,the flakes not that important to me however various sealants or waxes seem to show it better than others,obviously the ideal finish would contain all the above.

If i were after Natural finish i`d use pinnacle carnauba finishing Glaze With Pinnacle Xmt 180 wax(2coats maybe 3 its a soft wax)and would skip using a sealant at all.

As in this pic

The trick is when you try different sealants+waxes remember which product gives you what finish then try them in different orders or a couple of coats instead of just the one, theres no product i use that i cant improve the appearance it leaves by adding another coat or using say a wax between 2 coats of sealant, however with some waxes would never use a 2nd coat of wax the same day (collinite being the main one) though you will benefit from a 2nd coat if after the next wash.
(where im at at the mo-Sealant pics to follow)

3 coats of most waxes i find too much however and the mirror like reflections down the side of your car seem to suffer from too much wax build up at once (especially collinite 915)and almost go slightly orangepeely looking.(seems less of an issue with softer waxes)

Right last wk went over mine with pinnacle carnauba finishing glaze then collinite 915 this "should" show ya the differences in finish ive been on about with sealants/waxes (Ref depth or gloss)and why i like sealants over waxes.

(where mines at at the mo will add pics after to show finish once a couple of coats of fourstar ultimate paint protections been applied)

this is with sealant as last product used(previously a few wks before had been waxed)These are old pics below.

Its not always as mirror like the reflection with sealants hence i tend to build up a few sealant coats wk on wk for gloss then top off with one coat of wax for the reflection then follow next time with sealant again for a few times then wax etc etc. (sorry for boring everyone)

Pics to follow maybe after this wkend.

Last edited by uk dave; 26 Feb 2009 at 12:08 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2009, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: Manipulating your cars finish to suit you + general info...

Great thread good pointers to
Old 27 Feb 2009, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

As usual sound advice there 先輩.

Agree to a very large extent with what Dave has said above. particularly on the polishing front. Would say that if your paint work is dull and just generally tired looking and you've not really spent the time on it in the past, it is well worth while putting in the time at the prep stage (claying/polishing/cleansing etc) as once done, the sealants/waxes will really gain a lot from all the effort that is put in there as well as adding to the overall effect (though a lot people on detailing sites will swear blind that it is all in the preparation and sealants/waxes add very little; on that point we'll have to agree to disagree. The two go hand in hand imo and in my admittedly limited experience). Also worth adding, that if you're paintwork is washed regularly (using a wax safe shampoo) to remove general dirt, road grime and contaminants and then protected with a decent (not necessarily expensive) wax or sealant then claying and polishing will need doing rarely. Clayed my car last summer and it won't get clayed agin until this summer and only then if it really needs it, but can't stress enough how much of a difference it made to the finish. If you want that mirror like finish then claying is your first step to getting there.

But as Dave says above, on the benefits of 2 buckets we're just gonna have to agree to disagree, though do feel the benefits are vastly exaggerated on detailing forums. I think it does help but as Dave and many others prove, it's not gonna make or break your cars finish. At the end of the day it is about what works for you and gives you what you feel are the results you want.
Old 27 Feb 2009, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Wayne how much difference has blackfire made to yours

(preperation or sealant-i rest my case)
Old 28 Feb 2009, 12:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Big difference, but my paintwork never had the "WoW" factor until after it's first claying and proper polish/clean. Jury remains out.
Old 01 Mar 2009, 12:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Not disputing an average condition car will need polishing(just not everytime once good enough overall condition most of the time sealants glazes and waxes will do after a good clean-cant remember the last time i used polish on the scooby.)Case closed
Old 01 Mar 2009, 12:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

I 100% are with that. I haven't polished my (entire car) since probably the autumn. but mines gonna need it more than yours anyway as it's my daily drive and isn't garaged so gets real mucky real quick. However, 99% of the time a decent wash and leather off does the trick and these days don't even throw on a coat of sealant/wax. Probably do that every 3rd wash now. Also remember i use polishes with very little /no cut in them so twice a year aint gonna do much harm.

If I'm getting anal about this Dave you've only got yourself to blame mate.
Old 01 Mar 2009, 10:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

OMG someone else blaming me there were a time i thought i were helping you guys PMSL ..............seems a distant memory now
Old 06 Mar 2009, 05:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Washed/leathered off then a coat of four star ultimate paint protection(sealant) tonight-not too shabby but could have done with another coat(just ran out of time)

Old 07 Mar 2009, 01:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Great shine to it seems to be getting shineier and shineier
Old 07 Mar 2009, 01:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Im waiting for pics of a certain white sti
Old 07 Mar 2009, 01:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk dave View Post
Im waiting for pics of a certain white sti
Indeed! When you gonna get some higher res pics up Darren. (Try photo Bucket or ImageShack ImageShack® - Image Hosting )

For a white scoob it looks great be good to see it close up mate. I should take a pic of the white Type R (VI) the guy at work has; it's rank, but then he drives that car the way god designed it to be driven.
Old 07 Mar 2009, 05:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Dont know if ppl can remember me saying sometimes different light or even after a sealant or wax has been on a day you sometimes get a better realisation of the finish but i think to a sml extent this kinda proves what i were on about.

Took these this morning and i swear to god i havent touched the car since yesterday evening when i took the earlier pics.

Mostly just down to brighter reflections.

Half the time can be as much about your photography skills an picking when to take the pics so as you get the best pic of what youve achieved when doing your car
Old 07 Mar 2009, 05:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk dave View Post
Took these this morning and i swear to god i havent touched the car since yesterday evening when i took the earlier pics.

Mostly just down to brighter reflections.
Are you sure you didnt touch it it is so true about these reflections looks
Old 07 Mar 2009, 06:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
Indeed! When you gonna get some higher res pics up Darren. (Try photo Bucket or ImageShack ImageShack® - Image Hosting )

For a white scoob it looks great be good to see it close up mate. I should take a pic of the white Type R (VI) the guy at work has; it's rank, but then he drives that car the way god designed it to be driven.
Cheers for the site you and Dave are murder you will get me hooked into this dont be giving me ideas il become a Dave on my car wont even want to touch it it be so mint would want to put a blanket on it next