Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza General > Car Care - Make your car sparkle

Subaru Impreza Forum

You Would Wash Your Wheels With Acid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2008, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Exclamation You Would Wash Your Wheels With Acid?

This is fantastic!!!! Listen Up: Meguaiars states that his car wash shampoo Next Generation Car Wash, has a PH Balanced.
(Ph goes from 0 to 14, where 0 is pure acid and 14 is the liquid drain cleaner.)
Well if this is the definition, balanced means something between 0 and 14, which should be 7. 7 is the value of the pure water.
The Meguiars Next Generation Car Wash, has a PH of 10 (equal to great salt lake or to magnesia milk).
Good news coming from the other product, of the Meguiars line, the Hot Rims all wheel cleaner, this product has a PH equal to ZERO, meaning pure acid.
Hence is why I have got the surface of the brake caliper faded!!! I don;t want to imagine what could happen to the body paint of my car.!!!!!!
I have measure the PH value with a ph indicator paper.
Also there is no ingredient listed in the bottles, so at the end, you pay 14 Euro or 14 $ basically for a bottle of acid diluted with water (commercial value about 2 $) I would not buy these product anymore. NExt I will test the Zymol and the swiss vax product.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2008, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
If it were prolonged use of an acid wheel cleaner i`d agree,however i still use wonder wheels/autoglym clean wheels and a mild think its armorall foam wheel cleaner though i`ll probably only use one of above once a month/every other month.

Just use normal polish on my wheels generally, though havent polished these since just after i`d resprayed em ages ago,so long as you look after the wheels in the first place/polish (P21S wheel gel if you feel its necessary or equivalent) the wheels are never a rough enough finish for brake dust etc to bond to-you`ll still get tar sticking but generally i find white spirit on a cloth lightly on the wheel then polish loses that.Should probably use a proper tar remover but it works for me-detailing wise sometimes it can get daft and find uve a product to remove the product that improves this product etc etc.

I dont use a specific wheel gel/polish/wax though bear in mind ive got gold wheels if they were another colour/polished alloy where the gloss finish may be more apparent would use a proper wheel product if i could see a benefit over normal car polish/wax.

Im sure others will disagree however personally if you havent looked after your wheels as ya should(like me lol)still think some form of acid wheel cleaners handy just not to be used on a regular basis or on hot wheels(if it dries quick will stain)literally i`ll spray on, brush with wheel brush the whole wheel then straight away wash with normal sponge/car shampoo and rinse off well-wonderwheels needs to be brushed on anyway which is actually better as it dont go everywhere (autoglym etc is just what ive been bought in kits before)as sprays do dry white on callipers/discs-just gotta be careful where ya sprayin.

Last edited by uk dave; 29 Apr 2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 05:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Young Scooby

I bought the product as I believed it was the best, but nonetheless it was just a bottle of acid, that's way I am totally disappointed. Also think if the bottle will be swallowed by some children that goes around your car, while you are washing it, what could happen!!!
But at the end, the experience is what really count, trying different products, and then choose whatever is suitable for you.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax220668 View Post
I bought the product as I believed it was the best, but nonetheless it was just a bottle of acid, that's way I am totally disappointed. Also think if the bottle will be swallowed by some children that goes around your car, while you are washing it, what could happen!!!
But at the end, the experience is what really count, trying different products, and then choose whatever is suitable for you.
As for the stuff being around children just about everything ive got`s got a warning on saying keep out of reach of children-its just common sense and down to the individual-ya cant blame the manufacturer for where the products been left-if i`d got kids an if it were a liquid of any kind wouldnt be left where they could get it.
Old 03 May 2008, 05:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

the best stuff that i've found was some williams f1 wheel cleaner (large acid content judging by the smell on warm brake discs). was at the time when i had OZ Super Tourismo's on the saxo so was looking for something half decent. didnt disappoint, super t's are a ball ache to clean at the best of times but that stuff had em lookin spot on with very little effort
Old 03 May 2008, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Super t`s were great wheels but had an audi 80 sport years ago with loadsa spokes an they pissed me off tom , ive mainly stuck with 5 spokes where i can had some fox racing then kahns on me 106gti previous to that old school though fairly new at the time tsw stealths on a mk2 fiesta XR2 they`ve been the best wheels ever to wash no edges corners anything just a smooth rim.(look ancient now though)
Old 03 May 2008, 05:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Cheddarporker
autoglym motobike cleaner works better then there cleanwheels and you get twice as much in the bottle
Old 03 May 2008, 05:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Is it as strong mate/stronger ?? may give it a try im always up for tryin something new.(awaits comments)
Old 03 May 2008, 07:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk dave View Post
Super t`s were great wheels but had an audi 80 sport years ago with loadsa spokes an they pissed me off tom , ive mainly stuck with 5 spokes where i can had some fox racing then kahns on me 106gti previous to that old school though fairly new at the time tsw stealths on a mk2 fiesta XR2 they`ve been the best wheels ever to wash no edges corners anything just a smooth rim.(look ancient now though)

had pepperpots on the xr2 but they were sprayed gunmetal so you couldnt tell when they were grubby lol. the best wheels i've had to clean were the AMG alloys on the 190 merc that i had but gotta agree with ya that super t's, while they looked gorgeous, were a pain in the ass to clean. why you think i've gone from 100+ multi spokes on mine to 6 spoke innovits. got sick of missin bits
Old 03 May 2008, 09:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Cheddarporker
dave... spray delay walk away havent had to hand wash wheels 4 ages just power wash off now let me no what you think ?
Old 04 May 2008, 05:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

yeah agree with the above i have a used the autoglym machine cleaner on wheels its supposed to be detergent based with no abrasive contents spray on work in with a soft brush and then rinse away .you can also dilute it so quite good value at 4.99
Old 04 May 2008, 07:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

i'll have to give that stuff a try